To become an associate member an applicant must be over 21 years of age and be:
- A partner in a small professional practice; or
- A sole proprietor of an unincorporated business; or
- A senior executive reporting directly to a board member in an NGO, a state enterprise, parastatal or other public body of similar standing; or
- A senior executive of a national or international company or organisation reporting to a board member; or
- A director who does not otherwise qualify to be an ordinary member.
N.B. Associate members have no voting rights.
To become an ordinary member an applicant must be over 21years of age and meet one of the following criteria:
- A company director for a minimum of 3 years having been in business for a minimum of seven years; or
- In business for a minimum of five years as one of the following
â†’ a partner or senior manager in a professional practice, or a holder of a professional or educational qualification working in the business sector or public sector; or
â†’ a sole proprietor or partner of an unincorporated business; or
â†’ a senior executive of a national or international company or organisation, or public sector body, reporting directly to a main board member; or
- or, meet such other conditions which in the opinion of the IoDZ are of a sufficiently acceptable standard so as to confer membership and, preferably have attended the IoDZ course on â€˜Board Role, Director Duties and Liabilities.â€™
The Fellow grade is open to members who are over 30 years of age and have been directors of a company with a board of at least three directors (or, if the company has more than 50 employees, two directors) either:
a) For at least 10 years; or
b) For at least five years, having not less than 10 yearsâ€™ business experience, and having obtained such additional qualifications which, at the IoDZâ€™s discretion, merit such an appointment.
Any member with appropriate experience may apply for fellowship after being an Ordinary Member for three years.
To become a retired member an applicant must have been a member in good standing for at least five years, be over 60 years of age and have retired from their main full time employment or occupation.